Bailhache Solicitors

Child support

Child support is mostly dealt with outside of the court process, either by agreement between the parties or by one party making an application for a child support assessment through the Child Maintenance Service (CMS).  

The government website has a helpful child support calculator, which is of great assistance to anyone trying the reach an agreement.

A solicitor may become involved when, for various reasons, the CMS does not have jurisdiction.  In those circumstances, we can help you to negotiate an agreement.  Alternatively, we can draft a child maintenance agreement, to record terms that have been agreed.  We may also draft a consent order within divorce proceedings to record such an agreement (although the agreement within a court order will only remain binding for one year). 

If you need to challenge a child support assessment that has been made, which you believe to be incorrect, then we can provide you with guidance and representation in relation to reviews and appeals.



                     Head of Department                  Contact Us